Friday, October 12, 2012

Goodnight, Little Bird. Goodnight.

Two weeks ago, I promised a post about a sewing project I was working on. 



I bought felt in a variety of different colors to make some round bunting for my girlie's room. Then I ran out of ivory colored felt, and there was none to be found here in Clarenville.

I ordered some online, it came in yesterday and I finished this...



I had a nifty Instagram version of this, but my daughter looked a bit evil in it.


My daughter has a plastic house with little birds on the roof. The birds sing a little song she loves that ends with the lyrics, "Goodnight little bird, goodnight!"

Little bird is also what a mother calls her child in the song "Highway" by Ingrid Michaelson. I've been humming this song to my baby from before she was born.



The bunting is actually a project from a Home Ec Sewing e-course I'm taking.



I'm really loving all the step-by-step projects.

While I'm writing about my daughter's room I thought I'd share some details of her nursery.

My inspiration was this gorgeous white room with the beautiful mosquito netting.



So originally, her crib looked like this...



with some origami cranes encircling the top.



but then I caught her trying to pull the netting into the crib, and I could imagine her wrapping it around her neck, so I yanked it all down.

Here are some other little detail shots.













The crib is a Jenny Lind, the pictures are from old Caribbean pictures of my childhood (Cric Crac and The Owl and The Pussycat), the mobile is from Etsy, the changing table knob is from Anthropologie, and the sheets are Carousel Designs.

I also made a growth chart inspired by this Etsy shop and Shawna at Styleberryblog.


Whenever we have company, we put their measurements on the chart, so it acts as a guest book and a record of growth. I'm really regretting not adding another coat of paint to it. All the knots are showing through.


As you can see, all of my children are included.


I love, love, love my little bird's room. It is such a happy, sunny space.




No comments: