Monday, August 27, 2012

Things You Won't Find in the Baby Books: A New Host of Nightmares

I have always been a vivid dreamer. I spend a lot of time daydreaming, but I also am one of those annoying people who remembers what they dream at night and wants to relate them in agonizing detail to anyone who will listen.

It is one of my many irritating qualities, and the fact that my husband half listens to my lunatic dream ramblings, further reminds me that I'm married to a saintly man.

When I was younger I used to dream about tornadoes and hurricanes approaching my home, and that I was screaming to my family to take shelter, but no one would listen to me.

I used to wake up in tears after dreaming about my dad dying. I  used to insert myself into strange mishmashes of my favorite television shows. I used to dream about the students who caused me the most grief in the classroom.

I had to wake up and tell myself to




Then I had my baby, and my dreams became terrifying.

When she was first born, and I was sleeping in the hospital I dreamed that she was horribly disfigured, with no eyes or hands.

We brought her home. I would wake up in the night frantically pulling at the covers around my feet. I would dream that she was in the bed with us, had worked her way under the covers around my feet, and was suffocating.

 This was distressing to our dog in particular, because he usually was sleeping around my feet when these dreams occurred only to be rudely awoken by my abrupt, terrified jostling and mumbles of "Get her out! Get her out!"

Lately, I dream that I leave the house and forget about her. She is stuck on top of the dryer, or in the bathtub. I am blissfully unaware until someone starts yelling at me about being an incompetent mother.

These are not the type of dreams I want to have during my precious hours of sleep. I'd much rather be dreaming I'm a singing, dancing character in a mash up of Glee, West Wing, Mad Men, and Community.

But not Dexter.

Don't get me started on my terrifying Dexter nightmares.

Speaking of which, is anyone else excited about the new season of Dexter starting soon?

I'm actually stressing out for him after the ending of last season.


I clearly need to stop watching so much tv.

No comments: