Friday, August 3, 2012

Food Waste Friday: The Forgotten Freezer Incident

I was about to write a self-congratulatory post on how I had absolutely no food waste this Friday.

FoodWasteFriday

I was very careful at the grocery store to buy only what I was sure we would eat.

It was going to be a short, beautiful ode to overcoming wastefulness.

And then I remembered the freezer incident.

I went on vacation last week, and had pushed "the incident" out of my mind by recalling the cute little animals we had seen in Prince Edward Island.

See..


Piggies racing!


A cute little fox!
His little foxy friends!


And now look, we're travelling through a haunted wood!



You can understand why it took me a week to deal with "the incident."

Here is what happened:

On our way out the door to drive the two hours it takes to get to the airport, I realized SOMEONE had left the outdoor freezer door open, probably while he was grabbing his morning smoothie the morning before.

To be fair, sometimes the door pops open if you don't push it hard. I'm a big fan of Once a Month cooking, and that little freezer was jammed tight.

Turns out the freezer door had been open for over 24 hours without us noticing, meaning that everything inside had turned to soupy mush.

I didn't have time to clean it all up. We had a plane to catch. So I mournfully closed the door, where the now dead food sat in the freezer refreezing.

Until today.

Where we now have this:



6 servings of "Miracle Soup" from the 7 day diet adventure
16 cups of homemade chicken stock
4 baggies of various veggie purees (carrot, cauliflower, and butternut squash)
A bag of homemade whole wheat bread crumbs
10 breakfast smoothies
2 servings of homemade pizza dough

All of it defrosting on the porch so I can get the containers washed.

Couldn't you just cry?

It gives me an opportunity to clean out the freezer, if nothing else. But that is a barely silver lining.

Anyone else have an unintentionally wasteful Food Waste Friday?

See more food waste confessions at The Frugal Girl.

2 comments:

Lili said...

Oh no! Well, if it makes you feel any better, I too have succumbed to the horrors of food waste. I'm embarrassed to admit that it happens more than just Fridays. I'm not a fan of leftovers and things just don't come in two-people portion sizes. For example, I can't eat a loaf of bread in a week! I just wanted a PB&J. And maybe toast. Boom. To the garbage a week later. I became conscious of this a while ago, but I think it's time to start doing something about it! I'll keep you posted on my food waste woes... Thanks for inspiring me!

Jayme said...

Thanks for the comment Lili! I just try to freeze everything, before it goes bad and then try to remember to use it later. This is really great for bread, milk, and meats, but it works only if you keep the freezer door shut. Good luck with reducing the food waste!