Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Go Ask Alice


I'm going to Roatan next week for a family reunion. I'm excited to see the island my father lived on for so many years and has so many stories about. It is nice that I get to bring my fiance with me on this experience. I just hope this entire Honduran coupe business doesn't make things dangerous for us. If I didn't have my Honduran family members assuring us that it was okay, I doubt I would go.

Right now, I'm writing this from work as I cover a computer class for another teacher. When I'm not covering for other teachers (which I totally don't mind, especially since I'll be gone for a week and they'll be covering for me), I'm working as a reading teacher trying to meet the needs of girls who range in age from 12-18 and who span reading levels from 3rd to 10th grade. It is a challenge and a balancing act, and right now I don't think I'm doing it right. In the fall, when new curriculum s officially begin for these girls I need to have my act together.

I have one student who finishes things too fast, and I can't keep up with her, despite having assigned her two independent projects that involve reading four books and writing six stories.

I have two that look at me blankly and respond "I don't know" to any question I ask them. They look at me as if I'm torturing them for asking them about their day.

Then I have some brilliant, darling students who say clever things, ask interesting questions, and manage to keep up perfectly with the pace I've set for them. I'm so grateful to these students by the end of class, that I want to hug them.


I've been reading Go Ask Alice with my girls. Some of them are REALLY in to it, and when the bell rings, they whine that they don't want to stop reading it. It fills me with glee, and I can't help but jump up and down and giggle when they leave. I know. I'm a total dork.

1 comment:

Starr said...

Hey! Congratulations on your new job! Are you living in Wellington? Is that the plan for a while? I miss you!