Monday, March 16, 2009

Australian Children's Literature



I also wanted to recommend this adorable teen book set in Australia, My Big Birkett: The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely, Lost It. I had so much fun reading about the Australian teen's bridezilla sister and noting the similarities between Australian and American culture.

The book introduces students to the Shakespeare play The Tempest, brings up issues of classism, and taught me many new Australian phrases. For example, kissing = pashing, the dump = the tip, a ring bearer = a page boy, a car hood = a bonnet.

I've noticed that Australian literature isn't as fussy as American literature and contains a higher degree of flatulance, defecation, and talk of sex than typical children's literature found here in the United States. I also liked hearing the characters discuss kangaroos, lychee, mince meat, and other animals and foods we don't typically talk about here.

This is a cute story that will make you laugh.

No comments: